Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Is this the oldest Cropper?

Started by John B Easson, December 27, 2014, 02:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John B Easson

This old machine has a brass plate on the back with the date 19th Sept 1866 and No.420 on it. Mason's book on presses actually gives a later date for Croppers starting, so I'm not sure how many this early are still around, but would love to know if anyone comes across or has one. Note that it doesn't have the impression throw-off that later machines have.
Croppers were very common (and copied), so I would think this survival is significant. I rescued it from Islay, off the West coast of Scotland, and I suspect it had been somewhere in that area since new. I was given it in pieces, but it's in working order (bar rollers as yet), and obviously designed for despatch for assembly by the printer, as again unlike others I've seen, there is no complete frame to complicate shipping, it has two sides that are held together by shafts.

Mechanic

It is at least 10 years older than the one that is being restored at Pimpama Heritage Village, Queensland.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚