Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

George Finn (Mechanic)

Started by Dave Hughes, June 01, 2007, 03:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

George Finn (known on this board as Mechanic) has produced a web page as a way of introducing himself here:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~creekside/linotype.htm

This photo, taken at an exhibition in Ottawa, Canada in 1960, may be of interest to some of the members. That's me on the left. At the time this was taken I was working for Canadian Linotype as an engineer. It is an international group, I'm an Australian, Bob, in the middle is French Canadian and John, the other engineer on the right is a Dutchman

I served a six year apprenticeship as a Linotype Mechanic, and worked at the trade in Australia and Canada. While in Canada I did a number courses, in Electronics, Computer Typesetting, Phototypesetting and associated equipment.

I retired from the position of The Sydney Morning Herald's Production Computer Services Manager in 1989, I got myself a job, at the end of 2006, as a volunteer restoring a Linotype Comet, an old Model 5, a Model 78 English Linotype and two Intertype C4s, at the Caboolture Historical Village. Caboolture is a town north of Brisbane, about 140km north of where I live on Queensland's Gold Coast. I had not worked on hot metal machines since 1969. Believe me I'm enjoying it.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚