Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Re: Compugraphic Linasec

Started by John Henry, September 02, 2007, 03:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Henry

When I was a student at RIT in Rochester, NY, There was a Linasec in the composition lab. At the time I was there 1973-75, I don't recall it being used, other than as a part of our looking into historical aspects of the industry's rapidly advancing technology. I do remember using the Digital PDP-8 and a H&J program to create a tape to drive the Electron in the lab.

There is a picture in Graphic Arts Procedures by R. Randolph Karch, Third Edition 1965, on page 339, and indicates that it was generally used for H&J on tleltypesetter tape, but also could be used to convert tape punched for one size and style of type to another sytle, size or measure. Certainly better than re-keyboarding the etxt of a book or something.

The machine pictured in the Karch book is smaller than the one I recall, and may have been a variant of the one in the lab at RIT.

John G. Henry

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚