Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Ludlow Typography Machine and Typography Cabinets -- HELP SAVE THEM!?!

Started by Michael, July 19, 2006, 11:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Michael

I stumbled upon a local printer in New York City. They are on the verge of discarding a large Ludlow Machine (still works) for casting fonts --- and the accompanying typography cabinets -- with brass "keys". Is this stuff worth anything? The thought of seeing it all get thrown in to a trash heap has me a bit umm out of sorts... and I'd love to help "rescue" it. Is there anyone out there who would want this stuff? I think the equipment dates back to around 1911.
Thanks,
Michael
mhkmhkmhk@excite.com

Dan Williams

Yeah, its worth saving.
I turned over a Ludlow about five or six years ago. I bought a bunch of stuff from a local sign maker - mostly for the wood type - and bought his ludlow because it was part of the package. I think I bought it for two or three hundred bucks. Sold it to a printer friend for a small profit - owned it for a week and didnt even use or have to move it.
Unlike Linos, Ludlows are easier to move. the cabinets can be taken down by carrying the individual cases.
I am not making a business recommendation to you, and I personally do not prefer Ludlows, but I would do it if I were in that neck of the woods. If you get it cheap it could be profitable.
Do not ever operate or move equipment without help or training.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚