Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Mystery Matrix

Started by Dave Hughes, March 30, 2008, 07:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

George Finn sent in this photograph:

I'll let George tell the rest of the story:

QuoteI visited the Historical Village, where I am working at the Print Museum. Ken the curator handed me a matrix (photo attached) and asked me if I knew the make of machine to which belonged. I had to admit that I didn't, but I assured him I would soon have an answer.

George's credibility at the museum seems to be hanging on this one!

Anyone know what it is?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Jeff Zilles [jeffo]

Wish all the questions were this easy !!

Nebitype - Spaghetti Display Caster.  Generally post WWII - I think.  Good Machine - 42 em slug - marketed in Oz by Carmichaels who had the Linotype franchise at the time - in Victoria anyway. Can't be sure about interstate.

How do I know??  There's one in the 'Cave'.

jeffo

Mechanic

QuoteWish all the questions were this easy !!]

Thank you Jeffo. I think I might have been got at. Earlier Ken had asked if I knew what a Nebitype was. I said yes it was an Italian typesetting machine. Then later he handed me the mat. The rest is now history. I must admit I have never seen the machine, not even a photo. Ludlow has always been the chosen one in all the plants I've visited.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚