Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

How would it be possible to reclaim tin and antimony from the lead-as?

Started by John Cornelisse, February 04, 2018, 01:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Cornelisse

Remelting lead and even casting character, will yield in oxides on the surface of the molten lead.

This needs to be removed from the molten lead-surface, but this takes away tin, some antimony and of course a bit of lead lead.

It is possible to remove most of the usable lead, but each time tin is lost from the alloy. This limts the number of times you can remelt typemetal...

In former days there were bars with extra tin and antimony to correct this... But nowadays those bars are hard to find. You could also bring the as to your supplier of typemetal. You got even money for it.

Those days are past...

I would like to recuperate from the as, it should be possible in an oven under reduction with hot hydrogen gas, not particular a thing I could do in a safe way on my backyard.

Reduction with carbon or carbothermic reaction would also a posibility, but this is also not very handy to do at your backyard.

Would it be possible to do it with electrolysis ? Does anybody have any thoughts about this, or even tried it ?

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚