Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Nice Vintage Video

Started by Dave Hughes, March 22, 2009, 10:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Some nice vintage newspaper production video has recently been added to Youtube.

How the Courier is Produced, is a UK-based film, no date is given for it, but I would guess it probably dates from the 1940s.

There's nothing wrong with your computer's speakers - it's a silent film. It's worth persevering to the end - if only for the vehicles and the breakfast scene - they don't make women like that any more!!!

Here's what the uploader has to say about it:

QuoteThis promotional video shows the production process involved in publishing a local newspaper. The paper is the Kent and Sussex Courier. However, the production techniques are similar to those that would have been used to produce Scottish newspapers. The film shows the composing room, linotype machines setting up the news, hand setting display advertisements, making up the pages, the foundry making the matrix, casting plates from the matrix, trimming and bevelling plates, cleaning up plates, preparing rotary press and loading sheets of paper, fitting printing plates, printing of paper, despatch and the final readership.

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

Very interesting film Dave, it predates the forties. I started my apprenticeship in the forties and the Wagga Wagga Daily Advertiser was modern compared to the Courier. An indication of the vintage is the final scene where the wife hands her husband the paper and he immediately turns to the inside. I believe this was because the front page contained only classified advertising. The hair style on the woman looked more like the late 1920's. The forties hair styles were shoulder length, Veronica Lake, Ava Gardener, Bete Davis and the Andrews Sisters for example.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚