Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

axtzallas

Hello everyone,

I've found some mysterious linotype matrices with the following codes:

Times, Greek with bold (monotonic): 06A127, 10A327
Unknown sans-serif, Greek with bold (monotonic): 08Α222, 10Α322, 12Α422   
Unknown sans-serif, Greek (caps only): 14Α473

Does anyone know which company used this type of codes?
Does anyone have a list with the "official names" of the typefaces, or even a specimen?

Dave Hughes

Welcome to the Forum Axtzallas, I'm pretty sure someone is going to know the answer to this.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dave Hughes

I'm surprised this query hasn't been answered already.

Looking into it, according to Linotype's "Useful Matrix Information" 1937 edition, all Linotype matrices have a triangle symbol in their identification number:

https://www.metaltype.co.uk/downloads/UsefulMatrixInfo.pdf

Also, on this list of Intertype matrix numbers I can't see any that follow the same format as yours.

https://www.galleyrack.com/images/artifice/letters/press/compline/typography/matrix/intertype/intertype_matrix_complete-jim-gard.pdf

Is there any chance you could upload a photo of one of the mats?

Mark K. Digre

Manufactured by Matrotype of Maidenhead, Berkshire, England.  I first learned of this from either David McMillan or Don Black a few years ago.

I don't have a specimen book or list of typefaces, so can't identify your mats, but at the Minnesota Newspaper Museum (open later this week at the Minnesota State Fair) we have 10A319 Alpine with Italic.  This runs with Linotype Helvetica (10 triangle 698), although the % sign is different.

interrobang

Typefounders of Chicago was a reseller of Matrotype matrices.

In one of their final catalogs, near the back the show Souvenir regular w/ demi from 8—14pt; 10pt Korinna w/bold; 14 Bernhadr Fashion w/ Park Ave; 14pt Minuet w/ Lotus; various sizes and duplexing of Times, and true to Castcraft form, Alpine which was a pirated version of Helvetica.
mjb

interrobang letterpress
18R Kenton Road
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts 02130
617-522-4236
interrobangletterpress.com
linotypesetting.com
typographybooks.com

Dave Hughes

Thanks to both of you for making some progress on this little mystery. I hope @axtzallas finds it useful.

axtzallas

Thanks for all the replies!

The sans serif I hadn't identified looks pretty similar to Helvetica/Alpine.

Maarten Renckens

I came across this page while searching for information. If anybody has the same question as axtzallas, an extensive list of matrices identifiers can be found here: https://linotype.wiki/pages/linotype_matrix_identification.php.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚