Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Monotype drive motor etc.

Started by Ascensius, October 06, 2022, 04:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Ascensius

First post, but I would like to be able to show one or two  photos that would explain easier than words. But the image needs to have a URL? What is the easiest way to do this here? Then I will move on. . . Vari drive belts etc. English caster.
Scott

Dave Hughes

Hi, @Ascensius and welcome to the Forum.

There are several ways to post images. The easiest is to use the "Add image to post" link that appears under the posting box, left hand side. It does not appear under the "Quick Reply" box, you have to press the "Reply" button to get the fully-featured posting box.

Looking forward to seeing your pictures. I'm sure there are Monotype experts on here who will be able to help you with your questions.

- Dave (Admin)
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Ascensius

I figured it out.

The belt broke the other day. It had been making a bit of a noise and the caster had been slowing down a bit. I replaced the belt with one out of another caster that I have.

But the caster did not run as fast (about 90 rpm) and did not sound right. Then I saw that the bottom pulley (We will call them pulleys for the moment) was about one inch to the right, out of alignment with the upper fixed pulley. Not only that, I pulled out the belt that I had replaced the broken one with and saw that it was about .375 in. less in width than the old one.

Ooops. So I loosened the two bolts that hold the lower pulley on the shaft and moved the bottom pulley to the left so it was in alignment with the top one. . . then installed another belt that I found (I have one more spare, though it is obviously not a "real" one but something that someone had found a similar belt as a possible replacement). With the bottom pulley in alignment and the correct width belt, all is back to normal.

Yay. Just took a few hours. Getting those belts out is a PITA the first few times, but, after a few tries it gets much easier.

I do remember somewhere there was an article in an ATF newsletter that I have somewhere or I saw online that one of you replaced the 3-phase motor with a single phase and talked all about how to install? I'll have to do a "modern" change over at some point . . . I do have another motor, but it would mean switching from the left hand drive to the right hand drive.

thanks
Scott

Dave Hughes

@Dan Jones replied to this post with an excellent illustrated article on how he converted his caster to a single phase motor.

That article can be found here: Single Phase Motor Conversion
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚