Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Wapping '86

Started by Evan Sedgwick-Jell, September 19, 2006, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Evan Sedgwick-Jell

My name's Evan Sedgwick-Jell and I'm reading History at Queen Mary, University of London. I am to write my third year dissertation on the subject of the Wapping/News International dispute of 1986/7. I am keen to base parts of this work on the testimony of those directly involved in the dispute. To this end I was wondering if anyone who used this site either was, or may know anyone who was, a member of either NGA or Sogat '82 at the time of the Wapping pickets. Those previously involved directly in the production of the Fleet Street and Bouverie Street News International titles would be incredibly interesting to talk to, but provincial members from the period would also be welcome in terms of building a comprehensive picture of the dispute and of the structure and opinions in the respective unions. If anyone would like to get in touch, please e-mail me on: evan.jell@gmail.com, or just post replies to this forum. Many thanks,

Evan Sedgwick-Jell

Dave Hughes

Evan, I presume you have read John Pilger's account of events here:

Fortress Wapping

And also downloaded this excellent free e-book from here:

Wapping '86 - Photo Essay This file is in PDF format.

Personally I was a member of the NGA at the time and had previously been actively involvedi in the picket line at Eddie Shah's "Stockport Messenger" paper. This dispute effectively paved the way for Murdoch.

I think I've got a copy of the strikers paper the "Wapping Times" somewhere - might be worth scanning in!

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚