Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

AKI Typesetter Keyboard/Punch - video

Started by Dave Hughes, July 14, 2023, 09:29:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Spotted this on Youtube. The guy has connected a Raspberry Pi computer to this old TTS keyboard, and produced some lettering with it, in an unconventional way:

Anyone seen this done before? I hadn't. I've also never encountered the term "slug caster" before. Maybe I've led a sheltered life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZFnSQS8F-Y

QuoteI wanted to introduce my retro computing projects to punched paper tapes. Reading paper tapes is conceptually fairly simple, and there are numerous options out there including DIY. However, punching is more difficult because the mechanism is more demanding. I bought an AKI Typesetter Keyboard on eBay. It was advertised as being nonfunctional. I repaired the device, and then reverse-engineered enough of it to be able to figure out how to drive it with a raspberry pi. These typesetter keyboards were typically used in the 1970s for large newspapers and other production facilities, where operators would type documents using the keyboard to a paper-tape. The paper-tape would have then been taken to a slugcasting machine / linotype for production. The keyboard has no display mechanism, no serial or parallel interface -- the operator simply types and the result goes directly to paper tape. I was able to control is using the raspberry pi and wrote a program to issue test patterns and print novelty banners. For more retro computer projects, please see https://www.smbaker.com/
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚