Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Ludlow Punches

Started by Val Lucas, August 05, 2023, 06:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Val Lucas

Hello! I came across these in a collection of things from Mike Anderson.

They appear to be punches for Ludlow mats, confirmed by other printers on FB. Does anyone have any more insight?

I don't know if I need to keep them, and would like to figure out what best to do with them to preserve them.

They are marked 2-L-42 on the box.

jdmitch

Hi @Val Lucas, I have only just noticed this post and wondered whether you still have these and would be willing to sell them? Thanks!

Val Lucas

Hi @jdmitch- I still have them, haven't decided to sell them yet though. They're pretty neat and until I absolutely need that space I might hang on to them just for the history.

jdmitch

Thanks @Val Lucas - totally understood, I can see why you would want to keep them. Any chance you could make any detailed measurements with a caliper (or even a digital scan if possible!)- I am looking to make some Ludlow mats, and one option I am looking into would be creating punches (at least for finer details).
Keep me in mind if you do think you'd be willing to part with them, or even lend me one or two for a few weeks?
Thanks!

Mark K. Digre

You might find some helpful information in US Patents 1237643, 1308067, 1318381, 1747773, 1788594, 2028978, 3436950.  These are all that I have found so far that pertain to Ludlow's machinery for making matrices.  The drawings show quite a bit of detail, but no measurements.

Val Lucas

Hey Mark, I missed your replies- send me an email ( bowerbox (a) g mail) and I'll send you the specs when u get a minute!

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚