Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Moving the Don Dorrigo Press

Started by Dave Hughes, August 05, 2023, 10:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

The Penrith Museum of Printing in Penrith, New South Wales, Australia is planning to preserve the 1939 vintage press from the Don Dorrigo Gazette, which recently ceased publication.

The Press is a Heidelberg Zylinder Automat. Gazette Owner/Publisher John English said: "Someone from Heidelberg came here once and told me it was the third-last machine made in Germany before the start of WWII. It sat crated up until post-war trade got going, and this firm got it in 1951."

The first stage is to move the five ton press from its current location to the museum, a distance of 575 kilometers.

They have set up a My Cause page to raise $5,000 to cover the cost of transport.

Click here to see that page.

The Don Dorrigo Gazette has featured on Metal Type before:

Last Letterpress Newspaper in Australia

Don Dorrigo Gazette Final Edition
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

I shared your post with the Penrith Museum of Printing. The following is their reply

Hi George. Wonderful information about this press and most welcome. Still researching but I am told press was initially sent to Port Pirie, South Australia. 1656km from its current location!
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚