Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Replacing a Composition Caster Temp. Controller

Started by Dave Hughes, June 10, 2023, 08:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Here's a video from Forum regular Kevin Martin showing how he replaced the old pot temperature controller on his Composition Caster:

https://youtu.be/OrD_sc5UudE

QuoteIn this video I build and install a modern temperature for the pot on my Monotype Composition Caster.

This machine is used to cast type for letterpress printing, and has the ability to cast composed text, that is, type already set into words and lines. This avoids the laborious job of hand-setting type and ensures the type is newly made giving crisp impression of the fine details of the letters. Like letterpress itself, this machine is commercially obsolete, and only used for niche markets.

The type is cast from a molten metal alloy which must be kept at a consistent temperature to produce good type. On my caster the old Partlow mechanical controller had failed, and I chose to replace it with a modern electronic controller that uses a thermocouple to measure the temperature of the molten metal. Just as with the original controller, this switches power to an electrical contactor which in turn switches the power to the electrical heating elements.

I made a custom enclosure for this in a separate video.

More information on this project, and the caster itself, can be found on my blog: https://papertrail.ca/blog/monotype-composition-caster-pot-temperature-controller/

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Ronald

Ready for installation:

Thermo controller of the Monotype casters, replacing traditional with mercury switch.

KPMartin

Nice retrofit! Do you have pictures with the cover in place and installed.

Here you see the advantage of the smaller form-factor controllers: They are more likely to be mountable within the existing temperature controller housing.

What did you do for a thermocouple/thermistor?

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚