Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Dave Seat's Linograph Project

Started by Dave Hughes, February 18, 2024, 12:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

It looks like Dave Seat, of Hot Metal Services has acquired a Linograph, complete with magazines and matrices, and is planning on restoring it back to working order.

From Facebook:

I would love to see one of these working! I would love to see some more pictures of the machine in the meantime, but haven't located any yet.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dave Hughes

There is quite a comprehensive article on the history and development of the Linograph machine on Metal Type here: The Linograph

Intriguingly, Terry Foster included this snippet of info in the article he wrote:

QuoteAn early Linograph machine, in working order but not having been operated for several years, is in the Museum of Transport and Technology, Auckland, New Zealand. It is a gas-pot heated model.

Dave Hughes

I haven't seen an update on Dave Seat's project recently, but I'm keeping an eye out.

In the meantime, there seems to be another preserved Linograph at Kunstprenteverket - The Art Printworks in Norway.

They posted this teaser on Instagram recently:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C8zVMSPqdwQ/

These pictures give a great overview of the Print Works.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C9GJ9eOqkQv/

Dave Hughes

Great news. Dave has found some time in his busy schedule to take a look at the Linograph. Here's his update:

Shoal Creek Press

Dave Hughes

Some more great pics (and video this time) - we see the magazine-changing mechanism which is unlike any linecaster I've ever seen, and the machine "cycling."

Dave Hughes

Looks like Dave's made some great progress. I've got to say that the machine's second elevator looks somehow neater than the familiar Lino/Inter version!

https://www.facebook.com/100040289893095/videos/897070508667967/

realdougwilson

@Dave Hughes Thank you for re-posting the videos to this thread. For those of us that don't have Facebook (me), it blocks me from seeing anything after a few images (which is frustrating!).

Dave Hughes

Thanks @realdougwilson I've always found Facebook to be an unsatisfactory platform, but I joined quite recently.

There's a big letterpress contingent on there, but I still find it difficult to find stuff, etc. They also make it quite tricky to share items, apart from just linking to it.

As with a lot of things in this world, being popular doesn't always mean that it is good.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚