Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

The Monotype System - video

Started by Dave Hughes, July 11, 2024, 09:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

This nearly 15-minute video, produced by the UK's Science Museum, takes a comprehensive look at how a character is produced on the Monotype System, from artist's drawing to piece of type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11q1P5RyEgo
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

wysiwyg

I visited the Monotype factory in Salfords back in the seventies with Croydon College, and received a memento of my visit of a 12pt space with the Lord's Prayer engraved on it.

Dave Hughes

Quote from: wysiwyg on July 15, 2024, 11:10:51 AMI visited the Monotype factory in Salfords back in the seventies with Croydon College, and received a memento of my visit of a 12pt space with the Lord's Prayer engraved on it.

I think there was one shown in the video!
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

David Bolton

Good to see this and the Monotype History videos. I see they can be viewed on the Science Museum Monotype Collection site, so maybe they will get a good lot of viewers. It was nice to see Duncan, Kumar, Sallie, Ian and Richard, amongst others, in the History video. It will be even nicer when we get to know how the Collection is going to be used to preserve engineering and typecasting skills, since you can't really do this from a static display.

Seeing all the machinery in action needs to remind the world that there are still people running keyboards and casters (not to mention computer interfaces). As it happens I was busy this morning on one of my pneumatic keyboards, the result of which I will be casting later this week.

David Bolton

Franz

Thanks for posting this, and I agree with @David Bolton and others that it would be really good if the processes could be preserved through some program. I am happy to have learned all the tasks of the last 4 min and 25 sec of the film, and it would be great to get the first ten minutes resurrected as well.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚