Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Re-imagining Old Machines

Started by Dave Hughes, Yesterday at 09:06:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

I'm not sure if it's the relentless march of AI or something else, but on this website I recently came across, and I'm sure there are other similar sites, they seem to have "re-imagined" the machines they are describing, rather than use a proper image.

Boris Smus, who created these images, explains how they were created here: Invention Cards Enhanced by AI

A great deal of creativity has been employed!

First up, the Linotype machine:

And the Printing Press:

I'm not sure what "proto-printing" was, but if I need some doing I shall seek out the Chinese or Sumerians!
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

printsmurf

I quite like the expression 'metal characters dipped in ink' on the second card.

Dave Hughes

This YouTube video (created for children) recreates the New York Tribune's early adoption of the Linotype machine.

Unfortunately, in the illustrations used, the Linotype looks more like a large diesel engine, and seems to require several operators!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_agHWhHKYU

QuoteOn 3 July 1886, the New-York Tribune made history by becoming the first newspaper to use a linotype machine, a revolutionary device that automated the typesetting process. This innovation marked a significant leap forward in the efficiency and speed of newspaper production, transforming the printing industry worldwide. Join us as we explore the impact of the linotype machine on journalism, technology, and the dissemination of news during the late 19th century.
- A Read-along Animated Picture Book Series by Qrio.ai -
Transcript
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚