Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Monotype font identification needed

Started by John Nixon, August 12, 2024, 09:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Nixon

Hi all:
Amongst the fonts we were sorting are in the attached pic.
Appears to be a 10 point Caps only Titling Font.
Can anyone identify please.
Thanks, John

David Bolton

If the two mats shown on their side are part of the set, then it is Modern Extended series 7 in 10 point and 280 is the serial number of the special letter punched for it. Each special letter should have a serial number, so there could be a 280A and a 123B, or even a 280B, etc.

Were the Type Archive still open, one could look up the serial number on the Kardex records, and see what faces it had been punched for. Though in this case it is 7/10. Hopefully the Kardex records will become accessible again once the Science Museum has unwrapped the cabinet, in its hanger store at Wroughton near Swindon.

The matrix charts, also at Wroughton, would show, for series 7 in 10pt, all the special letters that had been punched, whether or not the letter had a serial number. If all the mats are stamped 7-10 then I guess they are fancy italic caps. In passing, for example, the letter A in 327/10 has some 140 different numbered versions...

David Bolton
The Alembic Press

John Nixon

Hi David

Thanks for the prompt reply.
We have discovered 61 more boxes of supercaster mats in Australia. Hopefully the missing ones from the Australian Monotype collection.

Happy sorting times.

Dave Hughes

Quote from: John Nixon on August 15, 2024, 09:35:08 AMWe have discovered 61 more boxes of supercaster mats in Australia.

Don't forget where to come if you need more mats identifying John  ;)
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Stafford

Oddly I thought that the actual characters look rather like Monotype Palace Script series 429,  Series 280 is of course Tamil, and it doesn't look like that at all!

Dave Hughes

Thanks for your input Stafford.

I did a quick Google search for Monotype Modern Extended and came up with this:

I've got to agree that the mats pictured look more like Palace Script.

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Carsten Jegminat

Fonts in Use: Palace Script

International index of hot metal typefaces, Compiled by Hans Reichardt:
Index of Typefaces

Albion49

It's definitely one of the scripts, but Monotype Palace Script (Series 429) differs from that shown in subtle details.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚