Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Linocomp II output

Started by Fernando, September 04, 2024, 02:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Fernando

What was the output of the Linocomp II machine? Did you get a piece of paper with text already composed out of it? Or was it film? Or was it a perforated card or strip to be taken to another machine such as an image setter? I am also intrigued by why did it have that look with those big square blue doors above the keyboard, was it like a typewritter or a computer without a screen? It would be very helpful if all these photosetter manufacturers produced videos of their devices in use in the past, for us to understand them better in the future, information on their basic functioning and operation gets lost easily.

The images attached, a picture from a Linocomp type catalog plus a functioning diagram, suggest a paper output, but it's still unclear to me about what exactly came out of the machine. L. W Wallis also mention the Linocomp II being used in 1977 as an output for the Linoterm direct entry phototypesetter/MVP Editing Terminal as frontend, so I suppose it had a paper output at the top, with its width limited to the paper roll width inside?

Thanks

Mechanic

The normal output from the machine would have been bromine photographic paper, which would be pasted up to complete a page. This would then be photographed to make a negative to make a printing plate for either letterpress or offset printing.
I don't know the particular machine. The description was for all machines of that period. Later machines could produce full broadsheet pages. Either bromides, negatives and eventually the printing plates.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

Absolutely spot on George. The bromide paper was exposed inside the machine using a cathode ray tube. Maximum line length was determined by the width of the CRT and corresponding paper, I seem to remember that it had generous margins.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Fernando

Many thanks for these clarifications. Interesting to know about the machine having generous margins – the length of the paper roll already doesn't look so great in that image above!

Mechanic

The bromide film roll was quite long. When a take (item being typeset) was finished, the film was cut loaded into a light proof cassette and processed in a processor or darkroom ready to be pasted onto page layout.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Alan Robinson

When I was doing my apprenticeship, and had block release at college, they had a Linocomp 1. When I finished my apprenticeship and left in 1978 I began working at ECG Reprographics who had two Linocomp 2's.

As I remember the bromide paper was supplied in black plastic bags and had to be inserted into a cassette in the dark room. It would then be fed past a slot and into a receiver cassette. When the job was complete a "cheesewire" draw string would be pulled to cut the paper.

The cassette was then taken into the dark room to go through the processor. I think The Linocomp 2 had 5 lenses in a turret which could be changed for the different type sizes and 4 font strips, whereas the Linotype 1 had 2 lenses?

Alan Robinson

Further to the story. When typesetting the only view the setter had was a single line marching character screen. The actual setting would be as a galley, not too dissimilar to a monotype caster, although you would get varying typefaces (limited to 4) and varying sizes (limited to 5). This was all in the days before WYSIWYG typesetting ie Macs!

James Rura

The Linocomp preceded the CRTronic series of digital "desktop" typesetters. It used a 1" cathode ray tube on a carriage mechanism to output onto photo paper.  US $22,000 back in early 1980s.  Unique feature was capability to draw horizontal and vertical lines, making it well-suited for business forms.  No wisiwig display.  You needed to be good at coding.

Dave Hughes

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚