Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Frank Remembers Strippers!

Started by Dave Hughes, October 09, 2024, 09:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Memories from Frank Romano of this obsolete skill.

QuoteRemember film—and film strippers? The switch from letterpress to offset litho brought us into the world of graphic arts cameras, darkrooms, and chemical processing. Workers were hunched over light tables cutting goldenrod and rubylith sheets. Ah, memories.

https://d3a577syzx0or3.cloudfront.net/video/2024-09-frank-film.mp4

https://whattheythink.com/video/121316-frank-remembers-strippers/
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Ted Lavin

It makes my wife crazy when I say I used to be a stripper and a lot of guys liked my work lol

Tommy

I absolutely loved being a "stripper". I started as a cameraman shooting 20x24 Kodalith negatives for burning plates for text books.

We tray developed and many days had brown hands from the Kodalith developer. Cuts were a lot of fun in the acetic acid stop bath.

Later I got to strip halftime negatives into the pages to print the photos on the pages. I "just missed" linotype by about a year but my boss was an old newspaper typesetting with tons of stories of hot lead.

David Eaves

Spent many an hour stooped over a lightbox assembling film separations, cutting masks, making daylight and darkroom negs and positives, fiddling with spacers to make chokes and spreads.

Lovely work, it was as interesting as working with hot metal. I also worked in a studio producing newspapers where everything was made with bromides (no intermediate film, only final dish developed negs for platemaking) and I enjoyed using Agfa's Copyproof materials, making half tones on the process cameras and "messing about" combining multiple exposures to make line and tone vignettes.

We called it the "dark arts"!

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚