Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Trade cards, Cigarette cards, Labels, Coins etc.

Started by printsmurf, January 24, 2023, 10:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Geoffrey Quadland

I really like the Metaltype publication, and think that it fills a niche that needs to be filled. I have one small suggestion.

In the USA and Canada, at least, professional printers do not like or use the term "stickers." Their term for them is "labels." For instance, their trade association is TLMI, the Tag and Label Manufacturers' Institute. When they hear the term "sticker," they cringe.

Because of this, you might want to consider renaming the subject of this column "Trade cards, Cigarette cards, Labels, etc."

Best regards, Geoff

Dave Hughes

Thanks Geoff, I am often surprised by how our usage of the same language varies.

I have made some changes and further posts on this thread should ditch the word stickers in favour of labels.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Geoffrey Quadland

That's great, Dave. Thanks for being receptive to that suggestion.

Regards, Geoff

printsmurf

printsmurf

GODFREY PHILLIPS - THIS MECHANIZED AGE 1936     Number 36 - NEWSPAPER PRESS

printsmurf

GODFREY PHILLIPS - THIS MECHANIZED AGE 1937 (2ND SERIES)    Number 8 - LINOTYPE MACHINE

[/url]

printsmurf

MITCHELL'S CIGARETTES  1937   Wonderful Century (1837 – 1937)  Number 41 of a set of 50 - TYPESETTING

printsmurf

Further to post number 14 on page 1
Sunblest Inventions & Discoveries   1960  Cards released in two series.   Series 1 contains cards 1-25 and the Second series cards 26-50, the series are clearly marked on the cards.

printsmurf

Postcard titled 'Typography Serbia 1930'  I have no image of the back of the card

printsmurf

printsmurf

Linotype Ladies

"Lois Thompson, printer's devil on the Nicholas Republican newspaper, operating Linotype machine." September 1942. Richwood, Nicholas County, West Virginia.
Photo by John Collier for the Farm Security Administration.

A Linotype operator at work in the pressroom.

Jan. 29, 1942 Linotype machine at the News-Journal Company, Gloria Warren. 1306-000-000 #2459. From the DeDO collection at the Delaware Public Archives. www.archives.delaware.gov

A young Marajen Stevick Chinigo learns how to operate the linotype machine that was used in the press room in the original office at 48 Main Street, in Champaign. © 2024 Champaign Multimedia Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Linotype operator. Chicago, Illinois by Russell Lee

A linotype machine operator at a publishing house, 1920
This image also appeared on a postage stamp issued on 8 August 2013 in a series 'Building a Nation' - Linotype operator

Linotype operator c.1920

printsmurf

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚