Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

monotype

Started by Ron A, November 11, 2010, 05:19:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Ron A

Good Day. I have a 1/8" x 1/8" tyoe bloxk with the lords prayer written, Sround the edge it has Monotyoe Lanston Machine Co Phil. This was passed down from my deceased father several years ago and he worked for a Montreal Newspaper. Can anyone tell me more about this item I.E. Point size?
This item is looking for a home where it would be appreciated. Money is not an issue...Cheers, Ron/Canada

Dave Hughes

Hi Ron, Welcome to the Metal Type forum.

There's a picture of the item you mention on this page:
http://blogs.whattheythink.com/blognosticator/2010/08/lord%E2%80%99s-prayer-on-a-24pt-em-square

It comes with this explanation:

To showcase Monotype's mechanical engineering prowess, in 1925 at the UK Monotype Works, the full text of the "Lord's Prayer" was cut in a matrix less than a quarter of an inch square, from which hot metal type was cast that was still readable. The project started from a 10 inch square drawing and copper outline pattern; a punch-cutting machine made a 12 point em square punch from the large pattern. A casting matrix was made from the punch, and then type was cast on a Monotype Composition Caste

The items don't seem to come up for sale on Ebay on a regular basis, so I would guess they are reasonably rare.

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Ron A

Thanks Dave I appreciate the info..........Ron

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚