Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Farewell, Etaoin Shrdlu (1980)

Started by Dave Hughes, January 26, 2011, 10:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Give yourself half an hour, sit back, and enjoy this gem of a video.

I had heard about this video, documenting the last day of hot metal production at the New York Times, but haven't had the chance of seeing it before now.

It was recently posted on Youtube, so I thought it was appropriate to share it on Metal Type.

As well as covering the last day of hot metal, it also shows their first generation photosetting equipment

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Mechanic

What a great video presentation. Of course that is not the end of the story. Now it's "Farewell Paste Up" and "Farewell Letterpress" and possibly "Farewell Newspapers"
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

Apologies for the lack of video now.

It would seem that the video has been removed by the user.

Don't know whether there was a copyright issue with this video, I thought it strange that I could find no copies of it on the internet until this one surfaced, then it was only around for a short while!

If anyone knows where this video can still be found, and streamed, please let me know and I shall try to restore this thread.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚