Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Philip Stevralia, Mergenthaler Linotype, Brooklyn, NY

Started by Dave Hughes, March 20, 2007, 12:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

I recently received this appeal for information via email:

QuoteI just wanted to note that my father, Philip Stevralia passed on last week.  He was 87 years old. Some of your readers may be interested.  He worked at Mergenthaler Linotype at Reyerson Street in Brooklyn, NY starting in the mid 1950's.  He became Plant Manager and oversaw both the expansion to Plainview Long Island and the contraction moving to Brentwood and Islip Long Island and ultimately the closing of the business. He clearly embodied the shifting economy of the United States from a pre-eminent manufacturing power to its role today.

My family and I would love to hear stores about my dad, Mergenthaler and the industry from any readers (favorable or unfavorable).
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dan Williams

Oh, golly wow. Phil Stevralia is a familiar name. Dad had one of his cards. I believe that he was a keynote speaker at one of the old ITCA "Lead is Not Dead" conferences here in the US. Maybe I will go to the estate stash and do some research. Gosh, I think he followed Mergenthaler all the way to its final denouement.

Dave Hughes

Dan managed to find the program from an ITCA conference that was held (he thinks) in 1978-79. Phil Stevralia has been circled on page 2.

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚