Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Can you Identify these Mould Components?

Started by Dave Hughes, June 10, 2007, 02:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Dan Williams sent in this photograph:

He asks:

QuoteRobert Griffith passed along a box of parts for me to identify. I have some pictures of three mold components that I cannot identify. The appear to be inserts, sized 6, 12 and 36 point.

I cannot find anything like them in Ludlow, Intertype or Linotype or aftermarket supply catalogs. Could they be APL or some odd aftermarket product?

They are about 6-1/2" long and the interior gap (casting area) is exactly 30 ems.

They definitely are for a circular mold-wheel type installation, because I see the semi-circular pattern of backknife impression.

Maybe someone on the forum will know.

Dan has found another photo:

QuoteI found another component that is evidently part of those mold "inserts."

It is a 30 em blank matrix form, with three stems that directly contact the mold face. A casting impression matching the stems is evident on the mold face. In the photo, the blank matrix form is shown set against the 36 pt mold "insert."

My guess, is that these are forms for stereotype base. The three stems leave holes that might be used for screws.

Also, the length of the mold inserts is 6-1/2" long, not 5-1/2" as I had previously mis-reported.

Oh, I am sure these were fun to use...can you imagine the size of squirt, in a bad lock-up?

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Jeff Zilles [jeffo]

If the bits run to 30 em they are not APL

APL runs to 42 ems with the two plunger pot - now that's really a squirt !!

jeffo

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚