Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Fund-Raising Book

Started by Dave Hughes, March 07, 2008, 06:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Larry Raid contacted me for assistance in producing a book for charity. I think I shall be able to submit a chapter on my childhood railway memories, anyone else up for it?

Larry said:

I want you to remember back to your childhood days, and the story may have come from your parents, grandparents or from some other person, or maybe you were even lucky enough to have experienced the event yourself. It can be a complete story in a sentence, or a complete story in a paragraph or the story can be a whole long chapter of  several pages. I want you to remember from your childhood days, "Childhood Memories about Railroading."

This book will be set with a model 31 Linotype, printed letterpress and it will be hand bound with a hard cover. There will be one hundred chapters, and hopefully it will be done by Christmas time in 2008. There are 36 chapter already set, cast and proofed. There are 54 chapters, which have been submitted altogether so far.

If you would mention this in your Forum, and your subscribers would want to submit a chapter, have them submit their chapter to me at my addresses, either by email or by mail, and include Department F. That way I can keep track from where the chapter submitter read about this book.

A book will be made available to each chapter writer, but I hope that they would pay for the shipping.

Each chapter submitted will be set and cast and printed the way it is presented to me. I will not change any misspelled words, I will not change any grammar, and I will not change any punctuation.

We have just completed a reproduction of a Mark Twain book, "The Adventures of Thomas Jefferson Snodgrass." This book was set and cast by one of the students of the Linotype University IV class. The book was set with a model 31 Linotype. She set, cast, proofed and corrected it. It was with all of Mark Twain's errors.

It was printed with a Heidelberg Windmill 10 X 15. One of the LU instructors has done all of the printing, and one of the renters from my Quaint Train International Educational Center, Inc., is doing the hand book binding.

The book is being reproduced as a Fund Raiser for the Keokuk Public Library Foundation.

Sam Clemens wrote the book while he lived in Keokuk, Lee County, Iowa. This book was set and cast with a Linotype, way back then in Keokuk, Lee County, Iowa, and it was printed in Keokuk. Some of the original books were bound in Keokuk, also, and the remainder of the books were bound in Chicago, Illinois.

Denmark, Iowa is in Lee County, and that is why I am republishing this book for the Foundation.

There is a picture of Sam Clemens in to present book, which was not in the original book. It is a picture taken from a painting of Sam Clemens, while he was a very young writer. This 28" X 32" painting hangs in the Keokuk Public Library. This picture is the only change in the book's original edition.

If you would want to put this information in the Forum, I will send your the Foundation's address, so if any would want to purchase the book, they will have the ordering information. The Department F would still be used.

Larry can be contacted by email: larryjraid - AT - lisco.com
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚