Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Linotype and Machinery Co Ltd. and Mergenthaler Linotype

Started by Mechanic, April 16, 2009, 07:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

The web sight below gives a brief history of Linotype and Machinery Co. Ltd. I'm not sure that the writer fully understood the function of the Linotype. For example the function of the Linotype is described thus.

"The linotype machine had been developed by the German watchmaker Ottmar Mergenthaler. It helped to solve a problem for stenographers – how to produce good copy that could be read easily from shorthand notes."

I don't think too many Linotype operators could read shorthand although, some of the copy I have seen might well have been in shorthand. The advertisement for "Linotype" on the sight is an interesting concept.

www.mosi.org.uk/media/33870636/thelinotypeandmachineryco.pdf

At one time Linotype and Machinery Co Ltd. and Mergenthaler Linotype were in direct competition with each other. The New York Times reported on February 7, 1909 of a proposal to try and end the patent litigation and commercial rivalry between the two companies. Mergenthaler offered to buy not less than 75% of L&M's shares. In addition L&M had to deliver its Canadian Linotype business and assets free of debt to Mergenthaler. In return Mergenthaler would leave the British Company's management in L&M's hands.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

Yes, it sounds like they've definitely got hold of the wrong end of the stick there somewhere!

I can just imagine some historic case at the Old Bailey with a Linotype in the corner of the room and someone churning out slugs as the case progresed! Imagine having to call an adjournment to deal with a splash or squirt!

The document mentions the Whittaker Collection of linecasters, which is, of course, well documented on this site here:

http://www.metaltype.co.uk/photos/photo57.shtml
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚