Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Postage stamps

Started by printsmurf, June 06, 2020, 11:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

printsmurf

This thread started with a couple of stamps celebrating the linotype machine and type composition. It then diversified into letterpress printing presses and then litho presses. I have included First Day Covers where applicable and some postcards and minisheets. Post 187 on page 13 did not show any presses or type but I included it because it was print related. As the title of this thread is 'Postage Stamps', I think that is the way - print related stamps. Hopefully I can find a few more presses or type composition stamps to post too.
Quite a few countries have celebrated their print heritage on postage stamps.

Issued on 23 June 1977 to celebrate 400 Years of Hebrew Press in Zfat                     (Israel)

The image on the stamp is a page of 16th-century book "Kohelet Yaakov".

A small 8 page gatefold leaflet was produced along with the stamp. To scan it I have reduced it to four two page spreads

I have rotated the last page

printsmurf

Issued on 17 December 1994 to celebrate 500 years of printing in Ukraine

The image may be Ivan Fedorov, considered one of the founding fathers of book printing in Russia and Ukraine.

printsmurf

Issued on 18 May 2010 to celebrate the 500th Birth Anniversary of Ivan Fyodorov, Printing Pioneer      (Russia)

Minisheet - Ivan Fedorov statue in Moscow

printsmurf

Issued on 1 September 2017 to celebrate 500th anniversary of Belarusian Book Printing                    (Belarus)

Minisheet for the stamp appearing in post 98 on page 7 of this thread

printsmurf

Issued on 1 September 1939 to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the first printing house in Mexico.
Set of six stamps

Don Juan de Zumàrraga y Arrazola had a printing press brought from Europe in 1539.

Casa de la Primera Imprenta de América (first print shop in the Americas)

Antonio de Mendoza was the first Viceroy of New Spain.

The first engraving (1544) made in Mexico.

The first work of Legislation (1563) printed in America.

Reproduction of the oldest printing in Mexico.

printsmurf

Issued on 29 September 1989                                                  (Mexico)
Fifty years later Mexico celebrated 450 years of printing in Mexico with this stamp

printsmurf

Issued on 15 November 1982 in a series 'National Education'                         (Maldives)

printsmurf

Issued on 12 October 1983 in a series 'World Communication' - Printing Works                       (Zimbabwe)

printsmurf

Issued on 4 February 2000 to celebrate 500 years of printing in Montserrat                           (Spain)

Accompanying four page leaflet gives details

printsmurf

Issued in 1988 to mark the bicentenary of the publication of 'The Federalist Papers'          (USA)

The Federalist Papers are a collection of essays written in the 1780s in support of the proposed U.S. Constitution and the strong federal government it advocated.
The stamp on this postcard is pre-printed with the rate information stamp affixed later on.

printsmurf

Issued on 9 October 1985 in a series 'Centenary of Papua New Guinea Post Office'            (Papua New Guinea)
Stamp entitled 'Stamp Printing Equipment'

printsmurf

Issued on 18 September 1976 Adolph S. Ochs (1858-1935), Publisher of the New York Times               (USA)

printsmurf

Issued on 3 September 1997 for the centenary of the Graphical Association                        (Iceland)

A bit more hot metal type

printsmurf

Issued on 27 September 1979 for the 100th Death Anniversary of Sir Rowland Hill, 1795-1879        (Turks and Caicos Islands)

printsmurf

Issued on 12 June 2010 on the 40th Anniversary of Boulzac Imprimerie                            (France)
Marianne is a symbol of Republican France. A Marianne is a bust of a proud and determined woman wearing a Phrygian cap. She symbolises the attachment of the common citizens of the revolution to the Republic - Marianne is liberty, egality and fraternity.

Marianne stamps with a series of side panels

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚