Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Headletter Mold 1st Elevator Slide Safety Stop

Started by interrobang, October 05, 2022, 06:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

interrobang

I was going through my parts stash and found a bag with some unidentified parts.

Looked them up and found them in Casting & Driving Cat 52, page 26-27 — E-989.

The mold disc pockets for display molds are tapped for them.
But I've run my 18-24 and 30-36 molds without them for years.
I can't find any reference as to what they would stop the 1st elevator slide from doing.

Maybe if the slide filling piece (the flap) isn't in place it will prevent smacking the back jaw on the mold cap?

Anyone have a guess?
mjb

interrobang letterpress
18R Kenton Road
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts 02130
617-522-4236
interrobangletterpress.com
linotypesetting.com
typographybooks.com

Mechanic

Good guess. The idea is if you fail to put the first elevator filling piece in place, the first elevator is stopped by this safety piece and the machine will be stopped by the vice automatic.
You have obviously been vigilant and always flipped the filling piece. I wouldn't test it unless your sure the vice automatic safety is correctly adjusted.

Whoever installed the machine, fitted the display mold disk, or install the single letter display moulds, was remiss In not fitting the safety. If two letter display moulds are installed in pocket the safety must be removed or not installed.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

interrobang

Thank you George, and good to know about removing when fitting a 2-letter mold.

I got an NOS mold disc from the late Jerry Spurlock of SOS Linotype in Tennessee four years ago when I was doing repairs on this Blue Streak Model 31 Two-in-One. I put new studs in it, and then did a block job as well. So as I mention, I found those safety stops in a bag of small parts and looked them up. I'll have a check the old (cracked) mold disc to see if it was tapped for the stops, but they were not on it. Hence the minor mystery.
mjb

interrobang letterpress
18R Kenton Road
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts 02130
617-522-4236
interrobangletterpress.com
linotypesetting.com
typographybooks.com

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚