Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Ludlow Typograph - video

Started by Dave Hughes, May 19, 2023, 10:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Here's a video showing how the Ludlow Typograph operates. I'm sure plenty of these machines are still running today, but we haven't seen much of them on this site.

https://youtu.be/DI-xZdVdyyM

Do you own a Ludlow Typograph? Let us know below.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Zia_Printer

I have one!
Now just to get power to it and see how much is wrong with it!

Hopefully, not much, then I can get to work finding mats to cast a newsletter for a local museum with a print shop display!

Rabbittown Press

I'm in New Brunswick, Canada. I have had a Ludlow for ten plus years. It doesn't get heavy use but I use it fairly regularly. I have a decent selection of mats for my purposes. I'm very fortunate.

To Zia: When I got it, the first thing I did was clean it up really good.....that included draining the coolant tank and cleaning the sludge out of it and the little filtre at the bottom. I also had to find a source for supplies for it.....and tried to find someone who had run one. One good source of info is Dave Seat's website - Hot  Metal Services.....and Dave Seat himself...he's in the U.S....and don't forget the manual and parts list as you can identify what is what and how it works. Good luck.

Dave Hughes

Some great advice there from Ludlow operators. I'm guessing that these "slow and steady" typesetting machines are still popular.

There's an instruction manual and parts list for a Model M available to download from the Metal Type Library
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Andrew Steeves

Check out Dave Seat's website on line, which has links to many resources. In particular you should try and get hold of the book that Jim Parish wrote, which is great help for trouble shooting. They are great little casters to start on. I got my first one when I was in my late twenties and had it running quickly despite having no one around to give me advice at first. And there are still lots of good matrices floating around out there.

Andrew Steeves ΒΆ Gaspereau Press

Laurence Pion

Contact Lloyd Bowcott at Cook Kettle Press in Shirley, BC, for Ludlow mats.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚