Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Bent slugs?

Started by Roger Holmes, July 01, 2024, 03:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Roger Holmes

I have discovered a problem on my model 31

The slugs coming out - setting 8.5 pt on 10 23.5 ems with ejector slide set to 20
the type is high in the middle of the slug - i know this because i can slide a 1/4 inch wide slip of light weight coated paper freely under the slug standing up on a good stone without moving the slug and printing from these slugs requires a lot of make ready to get a decent print.

I also have noticed one of the segmented bars in the ejector sticks out a bit further than the others and marks the bottom of the slug - i have removed the backknife and taken it to a reputable sharpening company that work on our paper cutters and meuller trim knives and given them copies of how to sharpen the back and the trim knives (from the book)- what i do not know is can the backknife be causing the gap that allows the slug to appeaar to stand high in the middle or is the slug being bent by bad ejecting - i also have a side trim issue causing the slugs to not be exactly parallel, but iam sure that can be fixed with proper adjustment of the side knives provided i get them sharpened properly.

My biggest problem is what seems to be slugs that are high in the middle and i don't know if it is a trim problem or an ejector problem causing this - any thoughts would be appreciated.

John Nixon

Hi Roger. Is the actual type flat, ie no curve on the printing edge? If it is flat my opinion is that the back trim knife is the issue. You could cast a line with the back knife removed for comparison. All the best , John

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚