Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Monotype font identification needed

Started by John Nixon, August 12, 2024, 09:56:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Richard Lawrence

Just to confirm: I have looked up my copy of Chaundy, Barrett, and Batey: 'The Printing of Mathematics' 2/e, OUP, 1957 and the script listed there (as 11 pt) seems to match the pictures of mats posted by John Nixon.

It's not Palace (check the shape of the cap Q for instance). I have another book published by The William Byrd Press, Richmond, Virginia entitled: 'Mathematics in Type'. This company ran a similar system to OUP but based around Monotype Series 8. Their script caps are much more upright. Assuming the mats that John has are of New Zealand origin, then UK influence seems much more likely than US influence.

Richard Lawrence, Oxford, UK

John Nixon

Quote from: stafford on August 19, 2024, 10:11:24 AMHi, @John Nixon - I'd dearly like to see a list of those Supercaster mats you have found.  Wether here
in the UK  the Monotype 'Matrix Loan Library' as was  will ever work again, I'm a shade uncertain.

But then someone on here may know ... ..

Hi Stafford

The current list of the faces at the printing museum.org are here:

http://www.theprintingmuseum.org.nz/assets/pm-monotype-display-matrix-library-web-copy2.pdf

This contains the nearly complete New Zealand and the 2 Australian Monotype lending libraries.

Cheers, John

John Nixon

Quote from: stafford on August 19, 2024, 10:05:18 AMAs I recall Palace Script 429 needed both a very unusual mould AND the 'Reverse Delivery Attachment' a set up I believe was also used for Arabic. Very uncommon bits of kit, I'm slightly surprised that Australia had such stuff (No offence intended).

A couple of the UK trade houses certainly had them,  Yendalls at Risca and Mouldtype at Preston for example.

Prestons I think may have gone to Japan with all the rest of their stuff,  Yendalls?  goodness only knows.

Hi Stafford

Not only was Palace Script cast in Australia but also in New Zealand.
We have 2 complete Palace Script sets complete with all necessary attachments.
You will see from the list from the printing museum.org.nz that there are many choice fonts. Also check out the Composition list. We have 200 pdx bags of composition mats also to clean, sort and identify. Don't get me started on the amount of Linotype fonts also to do. Happy times.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚