Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Frank Romano on Typesetting Services

Started by Dave Hughes, September 11, 2024, 08:41:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Frank's latest video takes a fascinating look at the short-lived typesetting service industry.

You can also see this video on the WhatTheyThink website here:
https://whattheythink.com/video/121025-requiem-typesetting-service/

https://d3a577syzx0or3.cloudfront.net/video/2024-09-frank-typesetters.mp4
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Patrick Reagh

Frank's brief video brought back memories of my apprenticeship at a typesetting service. It was Andresen Typographics in Los Angeles.

My employ began in 1969 and it was then a five-year union (ITU local 174) apprenticeship. Typesetting was then considered a skilled trade.

It was also the dawn of cold type or film setting as it was called. Thus began the steady decline of the skillset needed to compose type.

Thanks Frank, well done,

Patrick Reagh

Geoffrey Quadland

I bought my first letterpress in 1963, when I was 19. There was then, of course, a need for type (among many other things). Some used type had already been obtained, but I didn't have enough. I started dealing with Einnehmer and Taylor on east 45th street in New York because it was not far from my father's office.

They were a typesetting service and were easy to deal with, even for a young lad who was obviously not very experienced. They put out a rather extensive one line specimen book. Although I never did it, they also advertised that a person could set type from their cases.

They were also a dealer for Stephenson Blake, and I did buy some SB type from them. At one point in time, my father needed to reorder 10,000 letterheads for a client. He offered the job to me. I took one of those letterheads to Einnehmer and Taylor and asked them to set the job two times, and have it for me that afternoon. That was necessary because I had taken the train to the city and I didn't want to have to make a second trip. After a minor amount of push-back, they agreed. They had the linotype ready for me later in the day. I printed 5,000 sheets with each set of type, and the job came out quite well.

Geoffrey Quadland

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚