Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

New Mystery Object - Jobbing Only

Started by Dave Hughes, July 25, 2010, 12:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

A museum in Edinburgh, here in the UK is keen to find out what this object was used for - anyone got any ideas?

Something that comes to my mind is a device for holding the type up whilst taking a "galley proof."

Anyone else?
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters


What is shown could be a galley lock, but is it close to galley width? Dimensions would be helpful.
It is somewhat similar to a device I have for holding slugs in a chase for short run imprints, such as diplomas or certificates. Mine is made of aluminum, measures 30 picas wide, about 15.5 extended, 10.5 compressed, with a center retaining bolt as well as two springs/posts.

Quick Reply

Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚