Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Over-greasing main motor

Started by Autospacer, August 29, 2010, 08:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Autospacer

Hi,
Just though I'd share something a friend and I came across yesterday. Over the last couple of years, a small group of enthusiasts have been working at restoring the last Linotype from Taranaki Newspapers, in New Plymouth, New Zealand. The latest problem, was I found the main motor was stalling when turned on. Also, the line pump delivery needed a leather cup replacement. So, to get to the pump, I had to take the motor off anyway. Got the motor unmounted, then decided to run it, to see/hear if indeed there was an issue. There certainly was, as there was quite a spark when I turned the power on!. We disconnected the main power, then my colleague dismantled the motor, first taking off the main casing. We found clumps of hardened grease packed into the motor. I think the problem may have been that the grease had hardened over the years of un-use, and when new grease was pumped in, it did not get to the bearings which, incidentally, were worn and dry. Also, we found the connecting wires coming from the motor had poor connections and breakages in them Luckily, we have another motor on hand and will be able to replace the knackered one. Our experience may be a precautionary warning to those considering starting up an old machine that may have been standing for some time.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚