Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

1890 A New Terror

Started by Mechanic, April 10, 2013, 07:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

The author of this 1890 Time review takes a unusual approach in describing the operation of the Linotype.

QuoteI have recently encountered my terror in a new form, and as excess of any emotion begets the converse emotion, as intense pleasure becomes pain and there is a strange and subtle sense of delight in the extremity of agony, so I am in love with my terror of a machine.
It is a new printing machine, and they call it the Linotype. I know nothing, and want to know nothing, about companies or promoters, estimates of revenue and future dividends, possible incomes and royalties. These are, I take it, necessary evils in the evolution and development of any new discovery..

Read the review

http://www.marxists.org/history/international/social-democracy/time/aveling-april.htm

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Dave Hughes

That was an interesting article. As a lay-person the writer has gone into some depth describing the machine's operation.

He uses some strange analogies - the entrances to the magazine channels being described as "tiny railway carriages"!

Not sure if I liked his analysis of the Linotype operator though!

QuoteThe most ordinary person who can read and spell can learn in a few minutes how to work the Linotype. Although, of course, to work it rapidly and well needs intelligence and practice.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚