Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Ludlow Frustration

Started by Mechanic, February 03, 2015, 04:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

I am not a happy little vegemite. Went into Pimpama today intending to do some plunger cleaning and oiling. After an hour and a half the model M Ludlow's pot was not down. Checked the elements to find one with an open circuit. Spent an hour trying to get corroded screws and nuts out and off.  Left them soaking. Hope to remove the elements on Sunday. Next thing is to try and find a replacement element. If all else fails, we found a company on the Gold Coast where hopefully we can get one made. This is where we got the part for the pot on the C4. 

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Mechanic

A Brisbane company made a new element for the Model M Ludlow and it is once again a functioning machine. Standing for two hours with a blow torch in my hand melting a hot metal pot in 32 deg C temperature was not my idea of a good way to spend a morning. Believe it or not once the elements were in and wired up, I felt I had accomplished something worth while.

A new mouthpiece control has been fitted to the Model L. I turned the pot on. No fuses blew, so maybe we are on a winner here too.

One thing about old hot metal machines they need tender loving care.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Mechanic

To day is LUDLOW L DAY. A two hour fight with the plunger until it gave up an allowed itself to be removed and clean. Not wanting to use our limited supply of Ludlow oil I gave the plunge a coating of Carnauba Wax.
Clean the mouthpiece and apprehensively cast a blank slug and then a full line of mats. It casts a better slug than the model M. The only thing left is to get water circulating through the mold.
I feel GOOD!
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚