Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

changing a composition caster to large composition

Started by John Cornelisse, August 03, 2015, 01:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

John Cornelisse

Recently I acquired the parts that I need to change my machine to large composition...

I thought all parts, but this appeared to be not the case...


Above page 35 from the book of parts shows rod c20H1,and plate 25 shows rod b20H1.


Of course on my machine only rod b20H1 is available, it proofed impossible to get the springs on the rod, and close them with the nuts.

It looks that c20H1 is some 7 cm or at least 2 inches longer compared with rod b20H1.

Is there anybody who knows more about this ?

At this moment I mounted already a few extra parts on the machine, but did it in such a way, that I stil would be able to cast on the old way.


I've got an answer from Duncan Avery and Gerry Drayton at the Typearchive: The rods are alike, but for large composition you need the longer one:

                             b20H1 is 21 9/16" long whereas c20H1 is 22 13/16" long.

                            In centimeters is that: 54,7 and 57,94 cm

Besides this, I would need a 83CU1 assembly, but what this looks like, I would not know, there's no drawing of it on page 35 of the book of parts...

Quick Reply

Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚