Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Two line small pica fatface M

Started by Dave Hughes, March 02, 2008, 01:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

I've been doing a few night shifts recently (2200-0600) and they drag!!!

However, the internet is at hand and I've discovered lots of letterpress-related pictures on Flickr - a lot of it is pictures of wedding invitations etc. but I found this picture posted by Alan Brignull most interesting:

Alan says:
To celebrate one thousand visitors to my photostream page, here's an M from one of the older founts in the Hedgehog Press collection. When I acquired it among a lot of other stuff it was labelled 'worn out Bodoni' but it's older than that, more like the mid-19th century Thorowgood. There's no pin-mark and some letters show flow marks from casting in a hand mould. It's on a pre-point system body, about 22pt which would have been 'two line small pica'.
As you see, it's been well used (who knows what posters and handbills it played a part in?) but it's just usable still if you like the 'distressed' look. I can't imagine anyone getting this attached to a computer font file in centuries to come.

You can see Alan's profile, and more pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/people/8659556@N02/
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚