Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Re: Mystery Photos

Started by j stafford-baker, April 04, 2008, 06:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

j stafford-baker

Mr Cowpietu might be interested in Native American printing from a very, very long time ago. The Cherokee
had a native genius who sorted out a written alphabet for the nation, and the tribal council PAID for type to be cast by a foundry in Boston, bought a Columbian style press, and engaged a half-breed printer to produce
their own newspaper, partly in English partly in Cherokee, at their then capital of New Echota in what is now
the top left hand corder of Ga.  I have a reporoduction of a copy, and the international news featured is a good deal more in amount than todays typical mid-west news sheet, they knew all about contemporary European affairs.

The press was destoyed and the type scattered in the backyard by a gang calling themselves the Georgia Militia
a little before the 'Trail of Tears' events (If you dont know twhat that was, you darn well should!)  Elias
Boudinot was the printer, and a little of the type has recently been recovered by archaeologists. That presumably is still the property of the Tribal Coun cil, but I note that they have not been given it!

warmest regards

Stafford

The date was 1870 or thereabouts, I repeat 1870.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚