Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Linotype Erection

Started by Mechanic, May 06, 2009, 03:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

I believe that the instructions for erecting the Blue Streak Model 5 and the model 31 Linotypes sent in by David MacMillan, (see Typesetting http://www.metaltype.co.uk/library.shtml ) may have been produced as a cost saving effort by Mergenthaler in the 1960's. Around that time Linotype salesmen  were encouraged to offer a discount to customers, who had the mechanical expertise, to install their own machines. I don't believe that any customers of Canadian Linotype ever took advantage of the offer.

The production manager of Pacific Press, Vancouver was visiting our showroom in Toronto and knowing that he had qualified Linotype mechanics, I asked him what he thought about having his mechanics install new Linotypes. He replied, "The day we are asked to install our new Linotypes is the day I start buying Intertype."

I reported his feelings to Canadian Linotype's sales manager and that was the last I ever heard of the offer.

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚