Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Levelling a Linotype

Started by Roger Holmes, November 27, 2022, 06:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Roger Holmes

How important is it to make sure the linotype is exactly level both left and right and front to back?

My model 31 was recently moved onto my floor and is a bit off left to right and it looks to me like I could use the top steel above the distributor to put a level on - what I would like to know is how critical is the front to back level and where on the machine would be the best place to get a machine level reading for that?
any thoughts? - thanks-roger

KPMartin

I think the question is not so much "how important" it is to have the machine level, since it is impossible to be perfectly level. It is more a case of "how close to level" it should be.

I expect that the answer would be "level when checked with a carpenter's level". Leveling it using a machinist's level is likely overkill, but as some of the mechanism relies on gravity (e.g. the assembler chutes) you want some degree of accurate level. If the machine is visibly out of level that should probably be corrected.

Roger Holmes

@KPMartin

this sounds reasonable - thanks for your thoughts

anyone else have a view on this?

Mechanic

Swing the keyboard out. Now you have a surface that you can place a level on. Now make the machine level in all directions. Now facing the front of the machine raise the right hand side of the machine about 6 points. Keep the machine level front to back. The reason for lifting the right side a little is to keep the matrices against the lower distributor screw.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚