printsmurf

Two advertising stamps from 1936 celebrating 500 years of printing

A KÖNYVNYOMTATÁS FELTALÁLÁSA translates as THE INVENTION OF BOOK PRINTING

printsmurf

Johannes Gutenberg printing machine bronze medal. One sided - date unknown

Mechanic

The Roman numerals give a reference date 1439

Roman numerals for 1449 are MCDXLIC.

When I searched Gutenberg 1439 I got this info. I'm sure this is not what the medal is in reference to. I assume the date is meant to reflect the invention of the printing press, which was 10 years later.

I did find this snippet for 1439:

Around 1439, Gutenberg was involved in a financial misadventure making polished metal mirrors (which were believed to capture holy light from religious relics) for sale to pilgrims to Aachen: In 1439 the city was planning to exhibit its collection of relics from Emperor Charlemagne but the event was delayed by one year due to a severe flood and the capital already spent could not be repaid.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

printsmurf

A couple of items from different websites citing 1440 as the date of Gutenberg's first printing machine

Goldsmith and inventor Johannes Gutenberg was a political exile from Mainz, Germany when he began experimenting with printing in Strasbourg (then part of the Holy Roman Empire) in 1440. He returned to Mainz several years later and by 1450, had a printing machine perfected and ready to use commercially.

When someone mentions the printing press most will instinctively think of Johannes Guttenberg and his revolution 15th Century (1440 AD) technology.

printsmurf

2 x Proofs ( different colourways ) for 1940 Guttenberg unissued stamps. These were to be issued to celebrate 500 years of printing in 1440

Although Gutenberg is supposed to be honoured and his name appears on the stamp, the image is Friedrich Koenig, best known for his high-speed steam-powered printing press, which he built together with watchmaker Andreas Friedrich Bauer

printsmurf

Embossed chocolate wrapper. Chocolate Cantaloup - Catala & Meyer No. 15 printing and Gutenberg

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚