Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Nearest Digital Equivalent of Linotype Georgian

Started by eyebeams, December 01, 2022, 10:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

eyebeams

Hi there - I'm new to the forum and hope this posting isn't too off topic.
I'm looking for the nearest digital equivalent to Linotype Georgian (used in the old Penguin Paperback books). As far as I can see the original was never digitized. But what would be the nearest equivalent now if any? Apologies for my general ignorance on this topic.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions, pointers etc.

Leon Cych

Dave Hughes

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dave Hughes

I'm no expert in this field, but I would guess Georgia comes in pretty close, and the name suggests they may be related.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Hopefully, someone with a little more expertise in this field may chip in.  :-\
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

eyebeams

Yes - thank you. The only reference to it I have found is this one to George William Jones http://luc.devroye.org/fonts-34416.html

Quote(Linotype) Georgian (1931-1932) goes back to 18th century type by Alexander Wilson in Scotland. It was probably never digitized. Berry, Johnson and Jaspert relate it to Stephenson Blake font, and write about it: A transitional roman dating from c. 1790, perhaps from the Fry Foundry, but its early history is obscure. The serif formation and differentiation of colour are approaching the modern face. The capitals, in larger sizes, are rather heavy. Descenders are short. The g has a curled ear. The italic supplied with Georgian seems to be an earlier design, a Fry copy of Caslon's italic. Cf. the slope of the A, the swash J and T. Linotype Georgian is similar to the Stephenson Blake design, but there are a number of small differences, e.g., the serif on the lower arc of the C and the straight serifs on the arms of the E.
Early on in his career, he designed a number of decorative caps alphabets, including the art nouveau style Grange and Dorothy.

It is also referred to as form of Roman. I guess it is trying to trace the provenance of the makers and if they were influenced by the older fount.

Thank you,

Leon

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚