Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Printing the National Geographic - video

Started by Dave Hughes, December 09, 2022, 10:28:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

Did you know that the National Geographic Magazine was printed letterpress right up until the late 1950s early 1960s? This illustrated lecture tells the story:

https://youtu.be/8y6QktLWisc

Here's the poster's description:

This was a lecture presentation given at the Grolier Club in New York City for The American Printing History Association (APHA) in 2013. Most people do not realize that high-speed cylinder letterpress was used to print millions of copies of the National Geographic Magazine right into the late 50s and early 60s, long after letterpress printing had given way to offset and rotogravure by most mass-market periodicals. In doing the research for this lecture I talked to several retired NatGeo employees who had worked in the production department in the 50s and 60s and have since passed away.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Eric Holub

I had a childhood subscription to Natural History magazine from the mid-60s, and it was printed by letterpress well into the 1970s, though as I recall mostly single-color, presumably by electrotype duplicate plates. Random National Geographics also passed through.
I am surprised to hear that many of the earlier National Geographic magazines that I thought were three-color process could be poorly-separated four-color process work.
All these copies are out-of-hand now, but if I can see another, I will get out my loupe (and screen determiner).

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚