Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

The worst Printing Museum in the World?

Started by Dave Hughes, September 28, 2022, 10:46:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Dave Hughes

This video was recently posted on Youtube. It was filmed outside the Government Printing Press building in Bahawalpur, in the Punjab province of Pakistan.

Things got off to a bad start when I noticed that the descriptions of the machines had been set out in what appears to be Comic Sans!

The various exhibits appear to have been left outside the building, protected by a thick coat of black paint.

Alongside the various presses Monotype fans will be dismayed to see the remnants of a caster appear at about the three minute mark. I would be impressed if anyone could identify it. History suggests it would have been a British machine.

Here's the video:

Details of the Monotype caster:

Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

KPMartin

I can confirm that at least the bridge on that Monotype caster is an English bridge, and what's left of the pump operating levers also looks like the English design.

Eric Brown

Hi
Almost certain this is a British model. I owned and operated a 1954 model until 2009.
The one shown here is newer, probably 1965-70 it has a 15 x17 die case and a solid hand wheel and also has a quad and centre capability.

Keri Szafir

No Comic Sans, it's a different typeface. The caster is certainly British and made in the '60s, with the full style operating wheel and a Rototherm temperature regulation unit. There even appears to be a unit-shift control valve box (3:43).
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever." --John Keats

https://youtube.com/KeriSzafir
Founder and owner of Keritech Electronics

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚