Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Linotype matrix database

Started by Franz, June 14, 2023, 06:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Franz

On my homepage there is a growing database of Linotype and compatible matrices, with a search function. It contains typeface and size, marking, manufacturer and source of the information. At present there are over 6000 matrice series listed.

It is important to me to link to source directories (specimen books and sheets). I have started to upload some scans of mine to archive.org.

A number of data were collected by others, and I have mentioned them with the sources, especially Keelan Lightfoot  and Jim Gard. I also found some good leads here on metaltype.

There are a few exotics, e.g. Berling and TYMA (very incomplete), Matrotype and Simoncini. Linotype Brooklyn and Berlin, and Intertype Brooklyn are almost complete.

What I miss entirely is Intertype GmbH, Berlin. More L&M would also be nice. Whoever has material and can send me scans makes me happy.

Finally you can identify your matrices of Cairo Extra Bold!

Linotype Matrix Database

(Link edited after feedback)

interrobang

Dear @Franz

I had a visit to your page as linked. The only thing that loads is a search box (in the most recent version of Safari on Apple OS X "Ventura" 13.6).

This doesn't seem useful. One would imagine that what would be useful is a running list, sorted alphabetically. Since it would be a very long list if all the matrix manufacturers are included, if one wanted to find something without scrolling, then the search function would be an aid.

Just a thought.
mjb

interrobang letterpress
18R Kenton Road
Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts 02130
617-522-4236
interrobangletterpress.com
linotypesetting.com
typographybooks.com

Dave Hughes

You're correct. It would appear the site has been re-arranged.

I think the database is now here: Linotype Matrix Database maybe @Franz can shed some more light on this.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Franz

Michael,

I couldn't agree more. So Dave is right, there was an update and I didn't configure a FW. So, if you check the Linotype Matrix Database now, please let me know what you think.

Sorting by any column is possible.

There are certainly ways to improve the search/filter function, but in order to that, I need to do some more advanced programming, and figure out how to do it, first.

And yes, the list is long, but could be longer if people would share their specimen with me.

I updated the link in the original post.

interrobang

@Franz,

Thank you, it's impressive work.

One observation regarding your note on matrix markings, and the statement that "Strictly speaking, the "8△" is unnecessary." While this is correct, strictly speaking, functionally, it's impractical.

Unless one's eye was particularly familiar with the sizes of the faces as stamped on the casting edge, without the leading digit(s) one would require a specimen book for sure size reference. And of course for Mergenthaler certainly, a copy of Useful Matrix Information due to the entirely irrational numbering scheme they employed. But that's another discussion/puzzle.
mjb

interrobang letterpress
18R Kenton Road
617-522-4236
linotypesetting.com
typographybooks.com

Franz

@interrobang You are right. The statement is misleading. I will rephrase it.

Thanks for the nice words. I am working on linking snippets of type specimen to the individual series, where I have access to scans. I am lacking (good quality) scans for many of the specimen, though.

interrobang

If it's helpful, at one point my linotypesetting.com site had popups with specimens. Here's a link to all the scans. By no means comprehensive or complete, maybe they'll provide a starting point.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/rwm2tfg3eqc4w0mmg2qtw/h?rlkey=1ygrtahdut8ublt49hy7ez30o&dl=0
mjb

interrobang letterpress
18R Kenton Road
617-522-4236
linotypesetting.com
typographybooks.com

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚