Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Safe machines

Started by Mechanic, November 22, 2023, 11:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

When I am preparing to give a demonstration of a Linotype machine, I keep viewers, especially children, back a couple of feet when casting a line. I do let them hit a couple of keys on the keyboard, so they feel a little involved.

As the demonstrator, you are responsible for the machines safe performance. It is a good idea to check the machine's safety features, particularly when casting a line. The casting safeties are easily checked. Take the plunger pin out. Pull the clutch handle to cycle the machine. If the plunger arm goes down, the pot pump safety need to be adjusted.

Put a thin matrix on the vice cap where the first elevator adjusting screw comes to rest (not the screw that is used to adjust the vice automatic). Cycle the machine. It should stop as the mold disk comes forward. If the machine doesn't stop, it needs to be adjusted.

These two safeties need to be maintained as there is a danger of type metal being sprayed on the operator and onlookers.
All adjustments on the machine should be maintained for the safety of the machine and the operator.

I worry when I read someone says they had a problem that caused some damage to the machine and they made a modification to the machine to overcome the problem. Linotype and Intertype machines were used for almost 100 years, and as long as they were maintained and correctly adjusted they were reliable.
George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚