Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Linotype and Machinery printing press

Started by Frederico Porta, January 12, 2024, 09:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Frederico Porta

I'm a researcher about the history of printing press in Brasil in the first half of the twenty century. During the research of my master's degree about the modernization process of the printing in a capital city of northeast of Brasil called Natal, I discovered a double rotation press produced by the Linotype and Machinery who probably came to Brasil in 1928.

Im in getting in touch wanting to know if any of you guys have more information about the machines commercialized by the Linotype and Machinery.

I would be grateful if you could help me to know if exist a machinery catalog or any kind of information or documents who explain about when this press was produced and how its work. I am sending you images of this press in case it helps identify it.

Dave Hughes

Can anyone help with this?

I don't think it's a particularly rare press.
Printle: Word Puzzle for Printers Play Now

Keep in touch with Metal Type Get our newsletters

Dave Hughes

After posting a link to this week's newsletter on FB I have received the following suggestions:

Jeremy Winkworth suggests:

Looks like a very large Wharfedale stop cylinder like an SW4 with a retro fitted feeder.

Ronald Arthur Johnson came up with the following:

Centurion 20X30?

Graham Steele says he has operated one, he says:

Linotype & Machinery single colour two rev, hand fed. I used to run one back in the '60s at The Garden City Press In Letchworth

Franklin Weber says:

The letterpress looks to be a Pony Miehle press. I used to feed paper into it for many years in Kankakee, Illinois.

Roger Draheim says:

Looks like a Miller.

Nick Howard

British L & M Miehle

Rob Miller

I don't think it's a pony the operator platform is wrong. And while It does have mehlie vibes. The delivery looks more like a Babcock or a miller

Dave Hughes

So @Frederico Porta we have many suggestions, but without identifying the exact model, tracking down an instruction manual will be difficult.

Durngate

Hi @Frederico Porta,

The picture is most definitely a Linotype and Machinery 2 revolution Press. Maybe a Number 3 or no 4.

I would say probably a No. 4   which Takes a 26 x 40 inch sheet and looks like the same as the one I learnt on at Printing College. I have a 1925 Sales Brochure and handbooks for both the Single colour Press and the 2 colour version.

In about 1966-67 the company I worked for installed 2 new presses and I was put to work to help the engineer install the first Press and a few years later I ran the press for a time. I have worked the single colour press, hand fed and auto feed versions, the 2 colour press and the Perfecting version. During my time as an apprentice they even installed the smallest of the series, the No. 6 which took an 18 x 23 inch sheet and I set the machine up and ran it a few times.

Until recently I owned a British Made Vertical Miehle which was built by the company that became Goss. The picture is the press I ran showing the extended deep pile delivery.

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚