Metal Type: Home | Library | Forum | Free Ads | Store

Google Maps

Started by Mechanic, March 09, 2010, 10:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Printle: A Printing Word Game from Metal Type

Mechanic

Google maps

Google maps have started showing houses and buildings in Canada. Although they have been allowing this type of access in most of the western world for sometime, it only started in Canada last year. Having lived and worked in Toronto for many years I thought I'd take a nostalgic tour around the city. In my tour I accidently ran across an old deserted building where I spent many hours servicing their Linotypes. The company was Mono Lino Typesetting. A company renowned for their quality typesetting. They were suppliers of typesetting to many of the letterpress printers around the country. Because of this their product had to be spot on. That is the main reason Canadian Linotype had an engineer in there every other week working on one or another of their three or four Linotypes. Side knives parallel, type high spot on and the typeface perfect. The Mono operators often gave me a hard time bragging about the Monotypes. They were, I believe, one of the oldest typesetters in Toronto if not in Canada.

I hope the URL below will bring back a few memories to old printers and typesetters around the town.

http://tinyurl.com/yf23j7k

George Finn (Mechanic)
Gold Coast
Queensland
AUSTRALIA

Quick Reply

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

Printers' Tales - Over 30 stories from the pre-digital age. Buy now on Amazon/Apple Books

☛ Don't miss our illustrated newsletters. Click here to see examples and subscribe. ☚